Peppermint French Hot Chocolate
This silky, rich, and comforting hot chocolate made completely from scratch is ready in just 10 minutes. For the best results, use real, high-quality ingredients, like real vanilla extract and a good cocoa powder.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 ounces 60-70% cacao bittersweet chocolate (about half of a normal 8oz bar) finely chopped
- splash of vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar plus more to taste
On the stovetop, set a small, heavy-bottomed pot to medium heat. Add milk, half and half, cocoa powder, and salt. Heat until warm, but not boiling, stirring frequently.
Once the cocoa powder is well combined into the liquid, add chopped chocolate, vanilla, and peppermint. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Remove pot from heat and stir in the sugar. Taste and adjust sweetness and flavor to your liking (you can add a little more peppermint or vanilla if you'd like). Pour into mugs and serve warm with toppings of your choice.
- Nutrition facts are only an estimate.