Coffee lovers, I’ve got a challenge for you. Replace your daily cup of Joe with a cup of this ultra-comforting golden milk turmeric latte. Yes, you read that right. A latte made with turmeric powder. And it’s absolutely delightful.
When I first saw this recipe on the back of a bag of Sunfood turmeric powder I’d bought, I was skeptical. I had tried golden milk before from Trader Joe’s (my personal Disneyland), but wasn’t too impressed. Sadly, it stayed in the fridge until it went bad and I had no desire to try it again.
But since creating this lovely blog, I’ve had to open up even more to trying different foods again and again. Turns out, I really enjoy this recipe. It’s smooth, spicy, and comforting, like a chai latte from Starbucks without all the guilt and strain on your bank account (seriously, why are they so expensive?)
If you’re looking for a healthier, more nourishing alternative to your daily caffeine-ridden latte, or if you just love hot drinks, I most definitely recommend making this golden milk a part of your morning (or night!) routine.
What is golden milk?
Haldi ka Doodh, or “turmeric milk” originates from India. Turmeric has long been an essential part of Ayurveda, which is an ancient natural form of medicine that emphasizes good health and balance. Ayurvedic medicine is widely practiced in India, but not so much so in the United States.
Why turmeric, though? Not just because of it’s pretty golden color, but because this strange-looking plant is super duper powerful. It boasts a ton of health benefits, including fighting off inflammation, strengthening the immune system, and relieving pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS).
Can you drink golden milk everyday?
That depends. For me, it’s no problem, but everyone is different. Always check with your primary doctor before adding anything to your daily routine.
What is a golden milk turmeric latte good for?
Like I said, turmeric boasts a multitude of health benefits. This is because it contains a powerful compound called curcumin. Here is just a few ways that this compound can improve your wellbeing:
- Soothes body/muscle aches
- Can help strengthen immune system
- May help relieve symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Relieves sore throat
- Fights off cold and flu
How to make a golden milk turmeric latte from scratch
This drink is simple and quick to make. Why spend 10 minutes in a Starbucks line that wraps around the parking lot when you can easily make your own delicious and healthy latte at home?
- Combine turmeric powder, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, maple syrup, salt, and coconut milk in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and frothy.
- Pour the mixture into a pot on the stove, and set to medium heat. Simmer until hot. If you prefer a sweeter drink, you can whisk in a teaspoon of honey (omit if vegan) and a teaspoon of sugar, plus more to your taste.
- You can strain the mixture, if you’d like, but it’s not really essential and I never do it. Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy!
Other superfood recipes…
Golden Milk Turmeric Latte
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom optional
- 1 and 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar optional
- 1 teaspoon honey optional
- Add turmeric, syrup, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and coconut milk to a blender or food processor. Blend until mixture is smooth and frothy.
- On the stovetop, set a small pot to medium heat. Pour the mixture into the pot, and simmer, uncovered, until; stir frequently. Sweeten drink with sugar and honey to your taste, if desired. Pour golden milk into mugs and serve warm.
- I really enjoy using Tree Knee’s spicy maple syrup in this drink. If you’d like your milk to have some extra kick, I highly recommend using this.
- If you follow a vegan diet, omit the honey.
- Recipe from Sunfood Super Foods, slightly modified.
- Nutrition facts are only an estimate.